Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Tough Day

There’s nothing like having children to remind you that, when it comes to sanctification, you still have a long way to go. Today I was just a flat-out bad parent. Apparently my patience-tank was running on fumes because I lit into my eldest more times than I can remember. In each episode I overreacted. He’d commit a “3” blunder and I’d counter with an “10” response. Frankly, it was utterly embarrassing and pathetic on my part.

If my son knew better he would’ve written me up for being a joke of a parent. Fortunately for me he simply looked past most of my [insert your favorite pejorative adjective] actions and still wanted to hang out, which only heightened my sense of guilt and shame.

As I tucked him into bed tonight I told him how sorry I was, how badly I acted today, how I would like to have his forgiveness, he simply responded, “Daddy, you had a tough day; we all have tough days. I forgive you.” Then he kissed me. I left after praying with him, asking God for the same forgiveness I requested from my child and feeling the same oppressive but deserved embarrassment.

[Sigh]

Today revealed that I can be a pretty sad excuse for a father.
Today reminded me how much responsibility I have as a tool to shape my son’s character.
Today is a day I wish I could do over.
Today my son deserved better.

It was a tough day.

2 comments:

Scott James said...

I can relate.

My son told me one night at bedtime, "Daddy, tomorrow will be a better day for you. I still love you no matter what."

CCCC said...

Kids say the darndest things ;)